With Social Media and Search Engine Optimization (SEO), rapidly becoming the norm for Internet Marketing, companies are increasingly focusing their marketing and promotional efforts on these two marketing venues. Which Promotional Mix Strategy Directs Marketing Efforts Toward Target Market Members? By answering that question, one can better define the optimal mix of promotional media. However, because so many marketing efforts utilize traditional channels such as print and television, radio, and Outdoor Advertising, the promotional mix strategy has become somewhat of a vague term. Below are several categories under which promotional strategies fall:
* Print Marketing: The traditional print media category includes direct mail, business cards, brochures, postcards, letterhead, and envelopes. These marketing tools are generally considered the ‘main’ promotional category. While this category provides an effective method of reaching new and potential customers, the marketing effectiveness of this category is relatively low when compared to other marketing channels. While traditional print advertising does reach target markets, it can be costly due to high printing costs and high shipping fees.
* Direct Mail: The direct mail market provides the most cost-effective way to reach people in a targeted market. Because of this, it has been a popular choice with companies for decades. Although effective, this marketing channel also has some drawbacks such as having to rely on expensive mailing lists, which can be problematic, and potential over-delivery of packages. Furthermore, while most people tend to receive this type of mail at least once each month, there are some markets where this is not a feasible option such as for companies outside of metropolitan areas, rural or small towns, and for students and seniors.
* Volunteer Marketing: This marketing strategy is often used in conjunction with other marketing techniques such as catalogs and the use of fliers. In essence, this strategy centers on reaching out to potential customers. However, if a business uses this method too exclusively, the effect can be diluted. For instance, if the majority of flyers are thrown away because the recipient does not want them, the impact of this campaign is lost. Therefore, this strategy should be used in conjunction with other proven methods.
* Online Marketing: This strategy has become very popular in recent years because of the ease of reaching target markets via the Internet. The market is global and can reach anyone at anytime. It is the ideal option for businesses that have local operations because it allows them to be relatively inexpensive when compared to other marketing approaches. However, because of this, it may not be the best choice for all marketing efforts because it can easily be abused as well.
* Direct Mail: This method is quite effective if used appropriately. A company can increase their response rate through this approach if it is done properly. For instance, sending out three separate coupon packages at different times of the year will achieve a greater response than simply offering a discount. By using this approach, it will also allow a company to take advantage of the most advantageous times to deliver coupons, such as holidays.
* Outdoor Marketing: Outdoor promo packs are an effective way to market a product or service. They work because people love to go outdoors and experience the fresh air and sunshine. This creates a sense of buying urgency because they know they have a lot of other things on their minds. This is a tactic that should be implemented for seasonal items because there is nothing better than getting customers out into the sun to enjoy warm weather. However, companies must be careful not to make this a pure form of marketing as there are some sensitivities to sunscreen among some groups of consumers.
* Direct Mail: Promotional mails are also quite effective. They can contain coupons in exciting and surprising designs that will keep recipients interested. The best way to make sure that an email campaign is effective is to test out the mailers. By doing this, a company can determine which messages tend to work best and which ones don’t. Additionally, it can help companies figure out the best time of day to send out promotional coupons, which will in turn result in more responses.